Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hive Update

We are done with honey extraction. It was quite the experience! We had some very angry bee ladies. I also noticed that we had significantly less honey stored in our supers than we did during a hive check up two weeks ago. Thanks to the drought, it appears that our ladies are turning to their reserves to feed the workers. So, a bit of a bummer in terms of overall honey yield. Live and learn I guess. Hopefully in the future I'll be better about judging the best time for harvesting honey. Tomorrow we're doing Susan's bees, now that we've got the hang of it, I'll bet it'll go much more quickly!